J. Steven Rutt, Ph.D.
Dr. Steven Rutt is a partner with The Marbury Law Group, PLLC. His practice includes patent prosecution and counseling, IP licensing and agreements, including technology transfer carried out under the Bayh-Dole Act, patent landscaping and clearance opinions, trade secrets, and trademarks. His technology background is broadly with chemistry, materials, and polymers, including applications in nanotechnology, cleantech, nanobiology and nanomedicine, printed electronics, pharmaceuticals, semiconductors, and biotechnology.
Before joining Marbury, Dr. Rutt was a partner at Foley & Lardner LLP.
Dr. Rutt has been a frequent writer and conference presenter with respect to nanotechnology/cleantech and the law. Dr. Rutt is a member of the Technical Advisory Committee for the Pennsylvania NanoMaterials Commercialization Center. In addition, he is the author of a dozen scientific publications and inventor on four patents. His experience includes nine years of hands-on research in polymer synthesis and morphological studies, and his experience in private industry includes two years of corporate chemical research with NTT in Tokyo, Japan.
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 1999)
- The Pennsylvania State University (Ph.D. Chemistry, Braddock Fellow, 1990)
- Goshen College (B.A. Chemistry)
- Licensed to practice law in Virginia and the District of Columbia
- Registered Patent Attorney
- "Defense Drivers for Nanotechnology Commercialization: Technology, Case Studies, and Legal Issues," Nanotechnology Law & Business, Vol. 9, No. 4, Spring-Summer 2012
- "Global Warming U.S. Patent Filings Exploding," www.nanocleantechblog.com, May 19, 2010
- "Nanotech Continues to Fuel Cutting Edge Cleantech," www.nanocleantechblog.com, May 17, 2010
- "Biofuels Developments: Government Support Continues, Patent Activity Exploding," www.nanocleantechblog.com, May 4, 2010
- "IP Disputes and Nanotechnology Company Bankruptcies," Nanotechnology Law and Business, Vol 6, No. 3, Fall 2009
- "Review of A Consumer's Guide to MEMS & Nanotechnology," Nanotechnology Law and Business, Vol. 5, No. 1, Spring 2008
- Invited Presentation, "Advanced Manufacturing," USPTO-PTO Tech Fair, May 15, 2013.
- Panelist, "Myriad Ping-Pong: Are Isolated Genes Patentable?" American University, Washington College of Law, April 12, 2013
- Invited presentation, "New U.S. Patent Law: Updates & First Experiences" presented in Munich, Germany to Munich area law firm and companies, January 14, 2013
- Panel moderator, "Competing in the New Patent Era - Major Shifts Begin," 11th Annual NanoBusiness Conference, Boston, September 5, 2012
- Invited presentation, "Trends in Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials," USPTO - PTO Tech Fair, July 24, 2012
- Panelist, "Will New Post-Grant Review Processes Benefit Pharmaceutical or Tech Industries, and How Will it Change the Practice of Patent Law?," American University CLE Event, Washington D.C., January 25, 2012
- "A New Patent Era? Reform and Recent Court Decisions Impacting IP Strategy and Valuation," Nanomanufacturing Summit 2011, Boston, September 26, 2011
- "Nanotechnology Patenting & Standards," ASTM International, Anaheim, May 16, 2011
- "Cleantech Patenting: A Dynamic, Maturing Landscape," First PTO Cleantech Customer Partnership Meeting, April 27, 2011
- "Nanobio and IP: Avoiding Pitfalls, Adding Value," North Carolina Nanotechnology Commercialization Conference, Charlotte, NC, March 29-30
- Panel moderator, "Competitive Commercialization Strategy: Leveraging Government Funding," Cleantech Forum, San Francisco, March 14-16, 2011
- Panel moderator, "NNI's Revised Commercialization Strategy: Know the Risks Involved to Safeguard your IP," NanoBusiness Alliance 2010 Conference in Chicago, IL, September 2010
- "University Patenting: Why Important," University of Texas, Dallas Seminar, February 2010
- "Recent Legal Developments Relevant to Nanomedicine," American Society for Nanomedicine, October 2009
- "Counseling Clients on PCT, EPO, and ex-US Patenting," July 2009
- Panel moderator on IP Due Diligence, Houston NSTI TechConnect Conference, May 2009
- "Legal Aspects of Commercializing Technology," National Nano Engineering Conference (NNEC2008) in Boston, November 2008
- Regenerative Therapies in London, October 2008
- "Patent Counseling Including Inventorship, Ownership, Licensing, Contracts, Due Diligence, Bayh-Dole Act, and Trade Secrets," October 2008
- NSTI Nanotechnology and Cleantech Conferences in Boston, June 2008
- Panel moderator at NanoBusiness Alliance Conference on Nanotechnology in Health Care, May 2008
- Presented two separate topics at the Licensing Executive Society meeting on Quality Nanotechnology Patents and Nanotechnology Patent Licensing, May 2008
- Panel moderator between venture capitalists and an equity analyst on nanotechnology-cleantech investment, IBF Nano Applications Forum in Palm Springs, February 2008
- Roundtable moderator on patent strategy, including inputs from the Patent and Trademark Office's nanotechnology administrator and European patent counsel, February 2008
- Presented on the topic of nanotechnology IP to OnSETT (an Ontario technology transfer group) in Toronto, October 2007